Monday, January 28, 2008

Goddess in the City

In the past week, I was feeling angry and a bit confused because I knew that I wanted to bring the goddess into the world, but I wasn’t sure how to do that in the city in the middle of the winter. When I go hiking in the mountains when the earth is in full bloom and I feel myself in the midst of such intense, lush life-force, then it is easy for me to feel and connect to the goddess energy all around me and flowing through me.

But how could I do that in the city where there is so much asphalt, cement, steel, and glass, along with all the pollution that we humans create? So I was feeling a bit confused about that, and then one day as I was walking home, I saw so much garbage and filth on the ground, I thought, “Why are people so filthy, unconscious, irresponsible, and inconsiderate? Why can’t they just clean up their trash and clean up after their pets? Don’t they realize that this is their home – this earth, this city – as much as it is mine and millions of others?”

I believe that we have control over our lives, our happiness, and our environment. So I always take 100% responsibility rather than blaming others. In this case, I knew there must be a solution if I trust that I can find one. Usually when I am confronted with a problem, I start by talking to others to get their thoughts. It usually stimulates new thoughts in me. I also take time to meditate because I know that if I prime my mind to find a solution, one will come to me. In fact, often many different ideas begin to flow into my mind and into my life.

What happens to many of us is that when something happens that we don’t like, we tend to go into our negative emotions – anger, sadness, frustration, confusion, fear, etc. – rather than staying positive and trusting that we will find a solution. But now that I have been working with this new method of confronting problems, I trust that it will work out if I am patient.

As it turned out, I made the decision to go outside and clean the trash up around my house myself. It didn’t take very long and I felt much better afterward. That is what I call a positive response – taking action – rather than a negative response – staying stuck in negative emotions. As for the doggie’s gifts to the earth, I didn’t feel like looking at it, so I dumped some dirt over it. I figure I’ll get some potting soil soon and begin prepping the soil for my spring flower garden.

Now I can feel the goddess coming through me because I know she is here even in the city in the middle of the winter.

No comments: