Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I am Artemis

Artemis is my favorite goddess from ancient Greek mythology. I have often pondered whether or not the ancient people actually believed in these gods and goddesses and worshipped them. At first I couldn’t understand that because I don’t “worship” anything or anyone. However I can definitely say that there are many things I revere, such as Nature, Earth, and Consciousness.

But then I realized that this is actually very similar to their way of thinking. The only difference is that Artemis is within me rather than outside of me. You see, Artemis is the goddess of the hunt and protector of the forest. She is also a virgin, a strong and independent woman. Now, I can’t claim to be a virgin, but have found myself being rather chaste these past few years, mainly because something in me changed. I started wanting to know myself and be with myself more than I wanted a lover. This didn’t happen for any moralistic reason. It didn’t even happen consciously at first. It just happened on its own as I moved more and more in the direction of my personal destiny. I was caught up in living my life and all of the things that entailed.

For a long time I felt that Artemis was the goddess I identified with most because she lives in the forest with the deer and her nymphs, which always appealed to me. She is strong and independent and really has no need for a man. It seems to me that two people can only truely love each other when they don’t need each other.

I see many women in my manifestation workshops who want to manifest a relationship with a man, but it is clear to me that they will never truly be happy whether single or in a relationship until they can truly be happy on their own. There is much we can learn from the beautiful goddess Artemis.

No comments: